Hello, I’m Arlo Emerson, a developer/designer with a penchant for rapid iteration. I’ve worked in several modalities: hardware, software and conceptual UI envisioning. I admit to enjoy working in ambiguous situations where the requirements are mushy but the deliverables are administered daily or even hourly. Incubation, stealth-mode and professionalism are my callsigns, and I always endeavor to provide ROI every day.

I’ve included a few examples of my prototyping work below for your review:


Hololens - Rapid prototyping of UI concepts, ie. "envisionment"


We shot a lot of video on 5Ds, hired paid actors and assembled small film crews to create “realistic” vision videos for the incubation of Hololens, aka Forteleza. Most of this content was consumed by the exec team and board members. Aka Steve and Bill. I became indoctrinated in C4D and all things AR. Weekly design crits and literally countless FOV motion studies. Some Python coding and expression scripting involved.


Kinect - Prototyping of gesture-based UI controls


Point clouds, voice and gesture, oh my! I created a Javascript-based UI that was integrated with the Kinect camera via custom APIs (I worked with the hardware devs daily). A lot of point-cloud-esque interpretations of user’s hand motions was explored. It turned into art at one point before Microsoft killed the product, but we all had fun. It was a great project.

GE Healthcare - UI prototyping in AE and JQuery


This was actually a startup called Caradigm that was co-funded by Microsoft and GE. I built out anything the designers threw at me. These widgets I built in HTML, vanilla Javascript, and JQuery, many of which were pushed into production. Other things I built in After Effects to sell in UI concepts.


Google Account - Pixel Features Campaign - Rapid Iteration design drag race!!


I was the sole motion designer for both San Francisco and Seattle design offices. Which meant twice the work! During a Q4 campaign push I created and presented 67 full end-to-end concepts. The winning concept went on to require over 3000 sprites created, each individually localized and contextually distinct. I did all this using a handful of my own scripts in Python and Javascript to fully automate renders, encoding, post-processing of renders, and project logistics.


I’m currently working on a project for the US department of defense and am not able to show any visuals of this work. But I can say that I am working on 3D, holograms, and building lots of tools to help everybody iterate on the work. One of the things I built was a plug-in for C4D called “Layer Comps for C4D”, layer comps being one of Photoshop’s better productivity features, but something that is completely ignored by most other apps including Cinema 4D. Fortunately the API is in Python and straightforward to work with (most of the time).